Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Few Stray Thoughts.

So while I'm waiting for our photographic adventures of the day to download off the SD card and onto the computer, (for the record, today was a hang around the resort and do sweet FA day so how the HELL did we wind up taking 525 photos?) I thought I'd share with you a few of my thoughts on Thailand and the experience so far.

Cliched as it sounds, let's start with the weather.  It has been simply amazing.  Even when it's cloudy (especially when it's cloudy) once you step out of your room and leave the climate controlled environment, it's like slamming into this hot, wet wall that is sharply scented with salt.  Some days of course, that heat and humidity is worse than others, but thus far there has really only been one day where the humidity has caused me to wilt and retreat back into where the air is much cooler and drier.  I am a little disappointed because so far it has only rained here once, and it was only a downpour that lasted for like, maybe an hour before it stopped and there was no thunder or lightning attached.  Which sucks because I really wanted to be able to experience a tropical thunderstorm.  Ah well.

The G.Os are absolutely amazing.  They take the time to learn who you are so that they can then greet you by name.  They're so passionate about what they do and so outgoing that you just can't help having fun whenever they're around.  Which I know is part of their job description, but I think that they also need a certain personality type to be able to do that day in and day out and still love it.

When it comes to buying, Carl and I are completely out of our depth and I'm sure that it shows.  Because we simply have no idea how much a baht is actually worth.  Is 100 baht the equivalent of $1 or $10?  It's a little mind boggling at times, how easily big numbers are thrown around.  Because, being westerners we immediately see a 10000 baht price tag and balk.  And yet the Thais just carry on.  So yeah kinda weird.  The baht notes are pretty though.

Hrm what else?

Carl has managed to bruise the backs of his knees.  Who can honestly say they've ever done that?  That's what he gets for playing on the trapeze.  It was fun to watch though (and there will be more on this subject once the photos are ready).  That's what happens when Carl insists on shooting in raw format and then playing with them later >_>

Carl: Yeah yeah, blame me.
Me: Who else am I gonna blame? You're the one with the camera.

I love it here.  And I'm really not looking forward to having it end.  I mean yeah I know I can't stay here forever, but when I get home I'll probably have a million messages and emails on my phone.  Oh well, at least I still have a few more days of blissful ignorance.  And I am REALLY not looking forward to another 11.5 hour plane ride.  Eww.

Well that's all the stray thoughts I have for now.  Catch you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment